Sunday, February 7, 2010

Bio Enzyme Workshop, Round 2.

It was a beautiful Monday morning, and I had no idea that I was about to get a whiff of one of the most overpowering odours I would ever have the honour of whiffing. Why? Because once again, Farhanah has decided to put us to the task of making bio-enzyme. 
4 groups were put to the task of sieving, packaging, and chopping vegetables while the remaining 5 were sent to repeat the weekly routine of watering and weeding our 'forest' and our herbs garden. I was one of the fortunate few who were spared being bored out of my mind, having to help out with making bio enzyme instead. 
The row of large, sealed plastic containers sitting obediently along the wall should have rang some alarm bells as to what lay ahead for me, as I have chosen to help with sieving the debris out of the bio-enzyme, leaving only the liquid behind. The moment the cover of one of the plastic containers was lifted, however, I wished that  I had  opted for the mundane chore of chopping up vegetables instead. Ah, the price I pay for my curiousity.  The stench of the bio enzyme was indescribably powerful-it smelt about 3.5 times worse than the average rubbish truck. And rubbish trucks contain kitchen scraps, unwanted animal parts, and possibly diapers.

I had absolutely no idea brown sugar, vegetable peelings, and water could smell that bad. Immediately, the self-sacrificial soul in me volunteered to take pictures for the rest of the day. However, as I soon grew tired of taking pictures, I succumbed to my curious nature and helped out with sieving instead. Basically, I had to hold the plastic sieve while two members emptied the contents of the LARGE plastic containers into the sieve, allowing the liquid to strain through the sieve and into the plastic pail underneath the sieve. 

I believe Soo Sun, Nira, and Farhanah have unusually brave hearts.

Trust me, how horrifying the ordeal was can't be put into a few measly words. The plastic glove we were all given didn't even come close to keeping our hands safe and clean, and as for my poor, unprotected pinafore... let's just say that I should have just changed into my P.E. attire.
The large, floating chunks of vegetables and the layer of something none of us could identify at the top of the bio enzyme is something I never want to see again. Just when I thought it couldn't be any worse, IT HAPPENED.
A drop of the SMELLY bio enzyme found it's way into the gaping hole I call my mouth.

I don't want to talk about it, so moving on...

All the plastic containers were soon emptied, much to everyone's relief, and Soo Sun, who also helped out with the sieving, could finally make her way to the toilet to wash her hands.

You know what? I'm still glad I did this instead of watering and planting because I now have another story to pass down to my children and grandchildren. I'm sure they'd be excited to know how wee lasses had to MAKE their own bio-enzyme in the olden days.

Oh, we made it behind the Form 5 block. I hope for the sake of their SPM studying that the odour doesn't stick :)







No comments:

Post a Comment